What is wisdom? If you don’t know, then you are obviously not wise enough. But don’t worry, if you live long enough you will be.
Research by Dr Igor Grossmann of the University of Waterloo, in Canada, has confirmed that we do tend to get wiser as we get older.
I’ve been telling my kids this ever since they arrived! The mere fact that I am older makes me wiser. And at this rate of aging, they’ll never catch up with me.
But, Dad, what is wisdom? Psychologists base it on how you reason:
- Do you aim to resolve conflict?
- Do you try to compromise?
- Do you recognize the limits of personal knowledge?
- Do you admit that problems could have more than one perspective?
- Do you appreciate that things may get worse before they get better?
Indeed, I am already wise enough to know that things may get worse, but still stupid enough to wait for better.
Welcome to my side of the nonsense divide.