- CEO/President (private company, USA)
- Interim CEO (listed company, South Africa)
- Executive Board Member (listed industrial holding company, SA)
- Independent coach, advisor and consultant to executives (since 1990)
- Worked on two continents in multiple sectors (from Advertising to Wealth Management)
James began his career in 1979 as an economist reporting to a board of directors comprising CEOs and civil servants. He has continued to work as an advisor to senior executives ever since.
In 1990 he co-founded a niche strategy and executive effectiveness consulting firm in Cape Town, South Africa. Noteworthy assignments have included (a) the successful rescue of a clothing chain with 185 stores in 5 countries, (b) a stint as interim CEO, and (c) appointment as an Executive Director to the Board of Directors (for 4 years) of an industrial holding company listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
Has advised executives in industries including: advertising and branding; housing construction; information technology; medical; municipal and county services; merchant shipping; non-profit; oil; professional services; retail; and wealth management.
Many of his USA clients are classified as small, medium and non-profit. However, two of his clients can be described as big: he provided long-term executive and leadership coaching services to senior managers and vice presidents within a major firm operating in the financial services industry, and completed assignments for a Fortune 200 company based in Richmond.
In June 2019 James retired from the role of CEO of a 30+ year old wealth management firm.
- MBA (Stellenbosch University Business School, South Africa)
- Hons B (B&A) (Stellenbosch University Business School, South Africa)
- B.S. (Agricultural Economics) (University of Pretoria, South Africa)